New York City Car Accident Lawyer
Injured in a car accident in New York City? Here’s what you need to know about:
- Do You Need a New York City Car Accident Attorney?
- What You Need to Know about New York’s “No Fault” Insurance Law
- What to Do After a Car Accident in New York City
- What are Your Rights After a Car Accident Involving a Taxi in New York City?
- What are Your Rights After a Car Accident Involving a Rideshare Vehicle in New York City?
- 5 Ways New York City Car Accident Lawyers Can Help You
- FAQs: Recovering Your Losses After a Car Accident in New York City
Dealing with a car accident is never easy. If you were injured in the collision, it can feel next to impossible. You need to take care of yourself, get your car repaired (or replaced), and deal with the insurance companies—all while trying to keep pace with your day-to-day life. It is because of these challenges that many victims choose to hire a New York City car accident lawyer to represent them.
Were You Injured in a Car Accident in New York City?
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you should speak with an attorney about your situation. Recovering your losses isn’t easy, but New York City car accident lawyers can help. In fact, an experienced attorney will be able to help with many aspects of your recovery beyond just seeking compensation for your losses.
Whether you were driving your own car, you were riding in a taxi or rideshare, or you were visiting Manhattan from out of state, New York City car accident attorneys through CarAccidentSource.com can help. It costs nothing to learn about your legal rights, and you can get a free claim assessment 24/7.
How much can you recover for your car accident? Find out now:
*When you click the button you will be redirected to LawsuitInfoCenter.com.
New York is among the limited number of states that has a “no fault” law for auto insurance claims. Under this law, your first – and potentially only – option for seeking financial compensation after a car accident is to file a claim under your personal injury protection (PIP) policy. This coverage is required for all New York City residents, and the minimum coverage amount is $50,000.
While PIP is “no fault” coverage, it is still a good idea to hire a New York City car accident lawyer to help you. Why? There are two primary reasons:
- First, securing PIP coverage is not easy, and insurance companies routinely attempt to deny their policyholders’ claims for coverage.
- Second, filing a PIP claim might not be your only option. If you were seriously injured, you may be able to file a claim under the other driver’s liability policy, and a New York City car accident attorney may be able to help you file various “third party” claims as well.
If you have been injured in a car accident in New York City, there are several important steps you need to take as soon as possible. The steps you need to take after a car accident include:
- Report the accident to the police. Not only is this legally required if the accident resulted in personal injury or property damage, but it can also help with establishing your claim for financial compensation.
- Report the accident to your insurance company. You are probably required to do so under your auto insurance policy, and reporting the accident promptly will help avoid unnecessary issues with your claim.
- Seek medical treatment. After being involved in any type of car accident, it is important that you obtain a thorough diagnoses and begin any necessary treatment promptly.
- Contact a New York City car accident attorney. In order to make sure you pursue all available claims and seek maximum compensation, you will need to rely on the advice and representation of an experienced New York City car accident attorney.
If you were hit by a taxi or injured while riding in a taxi in New York City, your legal rights will depend on who was at fault in the accident. If the taxi driver was at fault, the taxi company may be liable. If another driver was at fault in the collision, then recovering your losses will most likely involve filing a claim under his or her liability insurance policy.
If you were injured in an accident involving a rideshare (i.e. Uber or Lyft) vehicle, your legal rights depend on who was at fault in this scenario as well. The good news is that rideshare drivers and rideshare companies are required to carry insurance with relatively high premiums under New York law, and it may be possible to pursue a claim under the driver’s policy, the company’s policy, or both. Of course, another driver (or a third party) could be liable for your injuries as well—and you will need an experienced New York City car accident attorney to determine what claim(s) you can file.
We’ve touched on this already, but there are many important ways that New York City car accident lawyers can help you after being injured in a collision. Some of the most-important ways that a lawyer can help you include:
1. Determining Who was at Fault in the Accident
In order to seek compensation outside of PIP, you will need evidence of who was at fault in your accident. While this might be the other driver, there are also several other possibilities.
2. Determining What Claim(s) You Can File
You probably have a PIP claim, but do you have other claims as well? New York City car accident attorneys can thoroughly assess your legal rights and pursue all claims you have available.
3. Calculating How Much You are Entitled to Recover
When seeking compensation for a car accident in New York City, you need to know how much you are entitled to recover. New York City car accident attorneys can help you accurately calculate your current and future financial and non-financial losses.
4. Negotiating for a Settlement on Your Behalf
Even if you are clearly entitled to compensation, this doesn’t necessarily mean that the insurance companies are going to pay. Hiring an experienced New York City car accident lawyer will give you the best chance of obtaining a favorable out-of-court settlement.
5. Showing You’re Prepared to Go to Court if Necessary
Finally, hiring an experienced lawyer shows that you are prepared to go to court if necessary. If the insurance companies know you have a lawyer who is prepared to take your case to trial, they are far more likely to offer a fair settlement.
When Should You Contact a Lawyer After a Car Accident in New York City?
If you’ve been injured in a collision, you should contact a New York City car accident lawyer right away. You need to make smart decisions, and this means that you need to rely on the advice of an experienced lawyer. Your lawyer will also need to investigate promptly, and you will want to have your lawyer deal with the insurance companies on your behalf.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim After a Car Accident in New York City?
While you technically have up to three years to file a claim under New York’s statute of limitations for car accident claims, you will want to file your claim as soon as possible. Unnecessary delays will only lead to unnecessary problems, and it will be very important for you to do everything you can to maximize your chances of financial recovery.
Do New York City Car Accident Attorneys Handle Cases on Contingency?
Yes, New York City car accident attorneys handle claims on a contingency-fee basis. This means your initial consultation is free, and you don’t pay anything if you win. If your attorney help you secure a settlement or court verdict, your legal fees will be calculated as a percentage of your award.
Can a New York City Car Accident Lawyer Deal with My Insurance Company?
Yes, you can rely on your lawyer to deal with your insurance company for you. Dealing with the insurance companies is one of the most-common areas were drivers and passengers make mistakes, and these mistakes can be incredibly costly.
How Do I Choose the Best New York City Car Accident Attorney for Me?
Your first step in choosing an attorney is to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. During your initial consultation, you can decide whether the attorney you are speaking with is the right choice for you. If so, you can hire the attorney and move forward. If not, you can contact another attorney. Keep in mind, while it is important to make an informed decision about your legal representation, it is also important that you hire an attorney as soon as possible.