If you’ve been injured in a collision, should you hire an attorney? If so, why, and how much is it going to cost? In this article, we explain when to get an attorney for a car accident, and we answer several frequently-asked questions about hiring an attorney to help you collect just compensation.
Recovering from a car accident presents a host of challenges—especially if you were injured. While it would be nice if you could trust the insurance companies to take care of your repair bills and medical bills, this unfortunately is not the case. It is up to you to make sure you receive just compensation; and, in order to do this you are going to need help. As a result, it is extremely important to know when to hire an attorney for a car accident, and it is important to know what to expect from your attorney as well.
In this article, we answer many of the most-common questions about getting an attorney for a car accident, including:
- When should you get an attorney for a car accident?
- How much does an attorney cost for a car accident?
- Why get an attorney for a car accident?
- Is your initial consultation really free?
- Will your attorney be able to help you collect a settlement?
When to Get an Attorney for a Car Accident
Regarding when to get an attorney for a car accident, the answer is simple: You should get an attorney as soon as possible through CarAccidentSource.com. Not only is there no reason to wait, but waiting could make it more difficult to collect just compensation. Evidence can disappear and memories can fade, and you will need as much information as possible to seek the compensation you deserve.
When you contact an attorney, you can expect your attorney to give you advice right away. You can also expect your attorney to promptly conduct an investigation if it appears that you may have a claim. Getting legal advice and conducting an investigation promptly are both extremely important, so it is strongly in your best interests to contact an attorney today.
How Much Does an Attorney Cost for a Car Accident?
After asking when to get an attorney for a car accident, most people’s next question is, “How much does an attorney cost for a car accident?” Fortunately, this question has a simple answer as well.
Hiring an attorney for a car accident does not cost anything out of pocket. Your initial consultation is free, and you only have to pay legal fees if your attorney helps you collect just compensation. This is known as “contingency-fee” representation. Your obligation to pay is contingent upon your attorney’s ability to help you recover; and, if you don’t recover anything, you don’t owe anything for your attorney’s services.
When asking, “How much does an attorney charge for a car accident?”, many people also want to know what contingency fees they will have to pay if their claims are successful. Most attorneys charge a contingency fee of 33% for car accident cases. Many charge an increased contingency fee of 40% if it is necessary to go to trial (because going to trial involves a lot more work), and some charge discounted contingency fees of 25% for negotiated insurance settlements.
Were you injured in a car accident? Contact a local attorney 24/7:
*When you click the button you will be redirected to LawsuitInfoCenter.com.
Why Get an Attorney for a Car Accident?
So, now that you know when to get an attorney for a car accident and how much getting an attorney costs, why should you hire an attorney after a car accident?
There are several reasons why to get an attorney for a car accident. Some of the most-important reasons to get an attorney for your car accident include:
- You need to fully protect your rights. From collecting evidence to making sure you file all available claims, you will need to hire an attorney to help you fully protect your rights. Your attorney can file all available claims on time, and your attorney can collect and subject all of the evidence that is needed to prove your right to just compensation.
- You need to protect yourself against the insurance companies. When dealing with the insurance companies, mistakes can be costly. Your attorney can deal with the insurance companies for you—while also pursuing any other claims you may have available.
- You need to avoid several common mistakes. In addition to mistakes when dealing with the insurance companies, there are several other common mistakes you need to avoid as well. By getting an attorney to handle your claim(s) on your behalf, you can avoid the risk of losing your ability to recover.
- You need to accurately calculate your current and future losses. Why get an attorney for a car accident? Perhaps the single most-important reason is to make sure you don’t settle for less than you deserve. Your attorney can accurately calculate your current and future losses so that you don’t settle for too little too soon.
- You need to know when (and if) to settle. Knowing when to settle a car accident claim is extremely important. It is also extremely important to know when settling is not your best option. Your attorney can help you make smart decisions, and your attorney can take your claim(s) to court if necessary.
FAQs: Hiring an Attorney to Help You After a Car Accident
Should I Get an Attorney After a Car Accident?
Yes, without a doubt. If you have been injured in a car accident, you should absolutely get an attorney to represent you. You have a lot at stake, and you cannot afford to make mistakes that could jeopardize your recovery. An experienced attorney will be able to help you make smart decisions, take several critical steps on your behalf, and fight on your behalf to recover the compensation you deserve.
How Soon Should I Get an Attorney for a Car Accident?
When it comes to when to hire an attorney after a car accident, you can never contact an attorney too soon. In fact, you can contact an attorney from the scene of your accident, and your attorney will be able to walk you through everything you need to do. If you are at home recovering or in the hospital receiving treatment for your injuries, you should contact an attorney right away, as your attorney will need to get to work immediately collecting the evidence needed to help you collect just compensation.
Is My Initial Consultation Really Free?
Yes, your initial consultation really is free. It is also completely without obligation. If you talk to an attorney and decide for any reason that the attorney is not right for you, you can – and should – schedule another free initial consultation with someone else. After the free initial consultation, how much does an attorney cost for a car accident? Most car accident attorneys charge contingency fees of 33%, though some charge less, and many charge more if a case goes to trial.
Will I Need to Meet with My Attorney in Person?
No, you will not need to meet with your attorney in person. Most attorneys now offer initial consultations via phone and videoconference, and your attorney should be able to handle your entire case remotely through the settlement phase. If you need to file a lawsuit in court, you may eventually need to handle certain portions of your case in person, but this generally won’t be until several months down the line.
Will My Attorney Deal with My Insurance Company Directly?
Yes, your attorney will deal with your insurance company directly. Some people assume that they will get advice from their attorney, but then they will still need to deal with their insurance adjuster directly. This is not the case. Your attorney can provide information directly on your behalf, and your attorney can negotiate on your behalf for a favorable out-of-court settlement.
Will My Attorney Be Able to Help Me Collect a Settlement?
Maybe. While most car accident insurance claims settle, a settlement is never guaranteed. However, hiring an experienced attorney will significantly increase your chances of obtaining a favorable settlement. If your claim doesn’t settle, your attorney will be prepared to take your insurance company to court. Increasing your chances of securing a favorable settlement is one of the most-important reasons why to get an attorney for a car accident.
How Can I Find a Local Attorney for My Car Accident?
You can find a local attorney through CarAccidentSource.com. We make it easy to connect with an attorney in your town or city, and you can get started online 24/7. We do not charge any fees or costs; and, with contingency-fee representation, you won’t have to pay your attorney anything unless you win just compensation.