You were injured in a collision. Should you hire an auto accident injury lawyer? Learn when you should get legal help and find out what to expect when you hire a lawyer.
Dealing with a car accident is never easy. But, it is particularly difficult when you suffer injuries in the crash. Fortunately, help is available, and you can hire an auto accident injury lawyer to handle your insurance claim for you.
Many people want to know when is the right time to contact a lawyer. As we discuss below, the simple answer is, “right away.” But, it can also be helpful to understand why, and it is also good to know what to expect when you hire a lawyer to represent you. In this article, we cover:
- Why You Should Hire an Auto Accident Injury Lawyer Right Away
- 10 Signs You Should Hire an Auto Accident Injury Lawyer
- 10 Facts You Need to Know about Hiring an Auto Accident Injury Lawyer
Car accident victims should hire auto accident injury lawyers right away. It’s that simple, and there is rally no other way to put it. If you’ve been injured, you need help, and hiring a lawyer is the best way to protect your legal rights.
If you are still at the scene of the accident, you can call a lawyer right after you call 911. If you are at home or in the hospital, you can still speak with a lawyer 24/7. If it has been a while since your accident, you should schedule a free consultation now, as there are some important steps that your lawyer (and you) will need to try to take as soon as possible.
Injured in a collision? Talk to a lawyer about your claim for free:
*When you click the button you will be redirected to LawsuitInfoCenter.com.
But, let’s say you have questions, or maybe you are hesitant about talking to a lawyer. At this point, what you need to know is that talking to a lawyer is (i) the best thing you can do to protect yourself, (ii) no-risk, and (iii) completely free. Here are 10 specific circumstances in which you should speak with a lawyer following a vehicle collision:
- You Were Injured in the Collision – If you were injured in the collision, your costs will add up quickly, and they will probably add up to more than you are expecting. You will need to hire a lawyer to calculate your losses and negotiate for a fair settlement on your behalf.
- You Aren’t Sure What To Do – If you are like most people, you aren’t quite sure what to do after being injured in a collision. Auto accident injury lawyers can explain everything you need to know, and they can guide you through the days and weeks to come step-by-step.
- Your Medical Bills are Piling Up – If you are starting to realize the true cost of your injuries, you should consult with a lawyer right away. You can have a lawyer assess your legal rights for free and fight to secure full coverage for your medical bills on your behalf.
- You are Unable to Work as a Result of Your Injury – If your injuries put you out of work, you should absolutely hire a lawyer to represent you. Auto accident injury lawyers can help you seek compensation for your lost wages and benefits—in addition to helping you recover your other accident-related losses.
- You are Dealing with Chronic Pain – Many car accident victims suffer from chronic pain. Back pain, neck pain, and joint pain are all extremely common. In addition to helping you recover your medical bills and lost earnings, a lawyer can seek compensation for your current and future pain and suffering.
- You are Struggling with Emotional Trauma, Anxiety, or Depression – Many car accident victims also struggle with emotional trauma, anxiety, and depression. Being injured in a car accident is a major life event, and it causes changes for many people. If you are struggling to cope, a local lawyer can help you find a professional counselor or therapist, and your lawyer can seek to recover compensation for your treatment needs on your behalf.
- You are Having Trouble Sleeping at Night – If you are having trouble sleeping at night, this could be symptomatic of a variety of different injury-related effects. For example, it could be the result of your pain, or it could be the result of stress. Hiring an auto accident injury lawyer can ease your burden, and you can rest easy knowing that you have an advocate fighting to recover just compensation on your behalf.
- Your Auto Insurance Company Won’t Pay – If you are trying to handle your claim on your own and your insurance company won’t pay, you should talk to a lawyer. Insurance companies handle claims differently when auto accident injury lawyers are involved. Your lawyer can assess why your insurer is refusing to provide coverage, and he or she can take any steps that are necessary to get your claim back on track.
- You Think an Issue with Your Car or the Road Caused the Accident – If you think an issue with your car or the road caused your accident, you will need to hire a lawyer in order to pursue any “third party” claims you may have. Attorneys for car accidents routinely help victims pursue claims against vehicle manufacturers, repair shops, road authorities, and other parties.
- Your Treatment is More Intensive or Taking Longer Than You Expected – If you were expecting to get better quickly but this hasn’t happened, a lawyer can help you in this scenario as well. As long as you haven’t already settled your insurance claim, your lawyer will be able to calculate the cost of your ongoing treatment needs (and other losses) and pursue an appropriate insurance settlement for you.
Of course, these are not the only circumstances in which you should speak with a lawyer. If you’ve been injured in a collision, you have a lot at stake, and you owe it to yourself to make smart decisions with the help of an experienced attorney.
Now that you know when you should hire a lawyer, what can you expect from your legal representation? While auto accident injury lawyers can help with your insurance claim, they can help you in many more ways as well. Here are 10 important facts about working with a lawyer after a car accident:
Fact #1: You Can Contact a Lawyer 24/7
In today’s world, you can contact a lawyer 24/7. You do not have to wait to call during business hours, and you do not have to wait days or weeks to receive a response. The top car accident law firms have attorneys and staff members available around the clock—because they know you cannot afford to wait for help when you’ve been injured in a collision.
Fact #2: Your Lawyer Can Get to Work Immediately if Necessary
If you’ve just been injured in an accident, your lawyer can dispatch a forensic investigator to the scene of the accident immediately. This can be crucial for collecting key evidence before it disappears. If you’ve waited a while to seek help, your lawyer can file your claim(s) promptly so that they don’t become barred by your state’s statute of limitations.
Fact #3: You Don’t have to Pay Anything Out of Pocket
Auto accident injury lawyers do not charge any up-front or monthly fees, and they will advance the costs of pursuing your claim. As a result, you do not have to pay anything out of pocket for your legal representation. If your car accident claim is successful, then your attorney will collect a “contingency fee” and recover his or her costs from your award.
Fact #4: Your Lawyer Can Help You Find a Good Doctor
One of the biggest problems car accident victims have is knowing how to find a good doctor. If you don’t know where to go for treatment, or if you are not satisfied with the qualify of your care, your lawyer will be able to refer you to an experienced professional. Most auto accident injury lawyers have relationships with top doctors who treat their clients on a regular basis.
Fact #5: Your Lawyer Can File Your Claim(s) for You
If you are uncomfortable trying to file your insurance claim, your lawyer can file your claim for you. If you have a “third party” claim for a vehicle maintenance issue, vehicle defect, or road defect, your lawyer can file this claim on your behalf as well. Hiring a lawyer to file your claim(s) ensures that you submit all necessary forms and information without submitting anything else that isn’t necessary.
Fact #6: You Need a Lawyer in Order to Avoid Settling for Too Little
One of the most-important ways auto accident injury lawyers help their clients is by making sure they don’t accidentally settle for too little. If you don’t hire a lawyer, this is a very real possibility. Your lawyer can calculate just compensation for your medical bills, lost earnings, pain and suffering, and other losses, and then help you decide when is the right time to settle your claim.
Fact #7: Hiring a Lawyer Significantly Improves Your Chances of Settlement
Not only will hiring a lawyer allow you to avoid settling too soon, but it will also significantly improve your chances of settling. Hiring a lawyer shows the insurance companies that you are serious, and this changes how they negotiate. When you hire a lawyer who knows the facts, knows the law, and has proof of how much you are entitled to recover, you are far more likely to receive just compensation.
Fact #8: Your Legal Fees Will Be a Fraction of Your Total Compensation
Some people worry that if they hire a lawyer, their entire settlement or verdict will be consumed by legal fees. This is not the case. Lawyers calculate their contingency fees as a percentage of their clients’ recoveries, and this means that your legal fees will only be a fraction of your total compensation. With everything a lawyer can to do help, your recovery will still probably be far more than you could have recovered on your own.
Fact #9: Your Lawyer Can Help You Avoid Costly Mistakes
When you have a car accident claim, mistakes can be incredibly costly. In fact, some mistakes can jeopardize your legal rights entirely. Your lawyer can explain all of the mistakes you need to avoid, and your lawyer can handle delicate tasks (such as communicating with your insurance adjuster) on your behalf. This way, you won’t have to take the risk of doing something that could damage your claim.
Fact #10: You Don’t Have Forever to Hire a Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you don’t have forever to hire a lawyer. While you may have several years to file a claim under your state’s statute of limitations, waiting any longer than necessary could jeopardize your recovery. By hiring a lawyer promptly, you can mitigate the risk of an issue interfering with your claim, and you can maximize your chances of recovering full compensation.
Were you injured in a car accident? If so, you should speak with a lawyer right away. Your lawyer can deal with the insurance companies, help you avoid mistakes, and calculate your losses so you don’t settle for less than you deserve. Since you can get a free consultation, you have no reason not to seek help. So, get started by contacting a local lawyer online now.